Monday, May 18, 2015

Social Media and Social Activism

During the past few classes we have been discussing the different ways that new media can affect politics and contemporary political discourse. Even though some people might disagree, I think new media has an overall, positive impact on politics. A couple advantages the combination of new media and politics brings us are: 

  • Being able to search and find the exact kind of news and information we are interested in
  • We are able to "share" news, which is a modern way of distributing it
  • The liking/favoriting button and the comment sections on most new media can almost work as a poll where voters and electors can give instant opinions on a politicians' web-posts
  • Serves as a great place to connect with others and to get information out fast (for example: during the Iran demonstrations, street facilitators would announce the "safe locations" via twitter)
  • The ability to donate is fast and easy
Although I think new media and politics are an advantageous combination, I do not post or share about politics myself. Mainly because, I don't have the biggest interest in politics and I do not feel educated on politics enough to put my opinions out there like that. Though, I am friends with and follow people that do post about politics. I think when news articles are shared and informative statuses are made, it is more effective than opinionated statuses. I seem to want to go into political articles that are shared more than I would want to after seeing a political opinion. I think social media is beneficial to politicizing college students. Social media is obviously something most college students are involved with and these websites make it easy to get informed about politics, share news articles, search for political stories, share opinions, likes and dislikes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment